The Wild beat the Sharks, and I have feelings

Mike Berg

The Wild beat the Sharks, and I have feelings

Postby Mike Berg » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:06 pm

0 x

Yoke

Re: The Wild beat the Sharks, and I have feelings

Postby Yoke » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Boudreau gives me hope. Seems like he's a coach that presses the right buttons at the right times.
1 x

MsConduct10

Postby MsConduct10 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:42 pm

You know what would make me feel actually hopeful? Some kind of indication of unity in the room. Not just the kind brought on by win streaks but real "got your back, brother" kinda camaraderie. Know what I mean?
0 x

NickinNY

Postby NickinNY » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:44 pm

You mean like the kind a good, old fashioned dust up would have created, Ms. C? Like North a Stars v. Bruins? I agree.
0 x

Bergera

Postby Bergera » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 pm

MsConduct10 wrote:You know what would make me feel actually hopeful? Some kind of indication of unity in the room. Not just the kind brought on by win streaks but real "got your back, brother" kinda camaraderie. Know what I mean?

I agree. Everything is good when they are winning. Will this team come together during struggles? or will they shatter?
1 x

GreenStar

Postby GreenStar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:36 pm

What gives me hope is this nugget from Russo's notes

"Look, during every game I told Zach, as I've told every player, I just think of what we have to do to win that night," Boudreau said. "It doesn't click to me who they are as far as their feelings. If I think that this guy's not playing good, I'll mix and match and move those guys around."

So refreshing
1 x

GreenStar

Postby GreenStar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:41 pm

MsConduct10 wrote:You know what would make me feel actually hopeful? Some kind of indication of unity in the room. Not just the kind brought on by win streaks but real "got your back, brother" kinda camaraderie. Know what I mean?

I think that nugget says this is happening. Yeo cut vets way too much slack driving a wedge between them and the youngins. And, my speculation, allowing vets to think they can do what they want without consequence. BB just said that he dgaf who they are, if they are not on their game they will get moved. Gives the message that the boys are equal. They aren't but at least the message is there
1 x

MsConduct10

Postby MsConduct10 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Yeo scratched Vanek and all it did was make things worse. And certainly Oates wouldn't have been creeping around the practices if Dumb and Dumber were happy with Yeo. I saw the situation as totally reversed. The vets were being shits to the coach and the youngsters, who played under him in Houston, were the loyal ones.

Am I totally backwards and brainwashed by my Aeros slant in thinking this? It's okay if I am. Just blows up my world view, but that's cool. I'm probably gonna die driving home in the 1/4" of snow in a few hours anyway.
0 x

GreenStar

Postby GreenStar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Did Yeo scratch or was that torch? Yeo scratch heater about 20 games later than he should have.
Yeo sent vanek out for 3 on 3 overtime. Yeo would Send the same players out for a power play that hadn't scored in over a month. Suter played 30+ minutes a night. It was reported there was a schism in the room between some vets and the youngsters.

I like Yeo. Didn't want him fired. Think he will eventually be successful as a NHL head coach. I also think he stuck with vets too much out of misguided loyalty. Zucker was in the doghouse almost permanently because he didn't play D but Thomas the gambler vanek broke out in a rash if he entered his own zone yet he played and played a lot. Key situations.
1 x

MsConduct10

Postby MsConduct10 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:38 pm

I thought Yeo did, but I agree, too late. I always assumed Yeo never scratched the vets because his bosses would have a fit after paying so much for them. And maybe he was trying not to widen the rift in the room by pissing them off further? I dunno. I mean, literally, I know nothing.

There's definitely a side of me that's annoyed the the team is playing well for BB, whose last name I still cannot spell without looking it up. I know that's petty, but whatever.
0 x

Mike Berg

Postby Mike Berg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Here's something to chew on: the Wild this season have something they didn't last season: a solid 1-2 punch at center. Last year they had Koivu, then Granlund or Coyle. Love those two, but when the game was on the line, it was Koivu to carry the load.

This year, with Staal in the mix, Koivu isn't The Guy. Staal can carry the load as well, which takes pressure off Koivu, allowing him to play more relaxed hockey.
2 x

GreenStar

Postby GreenStar » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Mike Berg wrote:This year, with Staal in the mix, Koivu isn't The Guy. Staal can carry the load as well, which takes pressure off Koivu, allowing him to play more relaxed hockey.

didn't look at it this way but this is very true. he is on a pace for a career high in goals.
0 x

NickinNY

Postby NickinNY » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm

I think a major difference between Yeo and to a lesser extent Torch, and BB is that BB is less-susceptible to the CL/CF battery saying "you're playing the vets. End of chat." I don't think BB would have signed here without that autonomy.
0 x

MsConduct10

Postby MsConduct10 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:11 pm

NickinNY wrote:I think a major difference between Yeo and to a lesser extent Torch, and BB is that BB is less-susceptible to the CL/CF battery saying "you're playing the vets. End of chat." I don't think BB would have signed here without that autonomy.

Yeah, I never felt like Yeo thought that was even an option. Maybe I'll just hang all the laurels on Staal and call it a day. Feels less struggly for me emotionally.

(Sorry, Nick, I didn't mean to edit my comment into your post last week. Doh! Kinda scary that admins can straight up edit people's posts. Especially dumb admins who don't realize they're doing it.
2 x

Return to “In The Concourse”