And Another Thing: There's No Reason to Play Up

Mike Berg

And Another Thing: There's No Reason to Play Up

Postby Mike Berg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:19 pm

I don't think kids should play up in sports.

http://concoursesports.blogspot.com/201 ... on-to.html

What say you?
0 x

kjkj

Re: And Another Thing: There's No Rason to Play Up

Postby kjkj » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm

You're right on.

Kids have more fun in sports when they're with their friends. Even elite players. There is plenty of time for advanced development should that need arise.

Organized sports tend to forget that. Let them play and have fun!
1 x

GreenStar

Re: And Another Thing: There's No Rason to Play Up

Postby GreenStar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 pm

agree. as much as parents think their kids are going to go pro, they are not.

re Fun...if sports are not fun to kids then they will stop playing and go back to their nintendo switch. I lived up the street from parkway little league for those familiar with the east side. My summers were spent down there from t-ball aged thru 13. I didn't go to public school so a lot of the neighborhood that played down there I didn't see in school. Those were the best summers. We didn't always play on the same team but we were in the same league and when you weren't playing you were down there watching. No pressure to play up. just go out and have fun. Miss those days.
1 x

Mike Berg

Re: And Another Thing: There's No Reason to Play Up

Postby Mike Berg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:03 pm

G*, reading your comments, I can see one other exception: If all your kid's friends are a little older and playing at a higher level, I can see making that argument. But even then, I'd be like "You don't have any buddies who will still be one level down???"
0 x

GreenStar

Postby GreenStar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:15 pm

i played hockey thru squirts. most of the kids i played hockey with were a grade ahead of me when i got to high school. Baseball not so much. most of my baseball buddies where in my grade.
0 x

Yoke

Postby Yoke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:40 pm

I played up in camps in the spring and summer nearly every year from the time I was a first year squirt until bantams, and I played up my first three years of baseball. It was fine.

I improved at hockey because I played with kids that played at a faster pace, and I enjoyed the competition. It made me a better hockey player. No, I'm not Wayne Gretzky. I'm not even Brent Gretzky. But I was decent, and I honestly wish I had played against older people for longer in the spring and summer.

As a side opinion, I feel like spring league is a waste of time, and even more of a waste if you aren't going to play all summer.
0 x

NickinNY

Postby NickinNY » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:28 am

I never had to make the decision - or I should say my parents didn't. But my sister sort of did. Our HS was tiny. She was the best soccer keeper in the school, so she was the varsity starting keeper for 5 years. 8th-12th grade. Now, she was good. But she was also the only keeper in the school at that time.

So that's not really playing up in the spirit of Mike's post.
0 x

Return to “In The Concourse”