Olympics

GreenStar

Olympics

Postby GreenStar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Is this really a big deal for the NHL? Reading a lot of bitching on the internets on how the NHL is small minded and blowing a chance to market the game on a grand stage. They've been marketing the game since 1998, what's changed? Starting to wonder if it's canadians complaining because this is one of the only tournaments they can win They certainly can't win the Cup anymore.

I like olympic hockey but I don't think it's vital for the viability of the NHL. The Olympics and the NHL will both survive.

Am I wrong?
0 x

NickinNY

Re: Olympics

Postby NickinNY » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:14 pm

I agree. I preferred it when it was amateurs anyway - for all sports. The best countries with the deepest talent will still be in the tournament. I think it's BS if the Russians go, though. But what do you do? You can't penalize the teams - Bettman fining Leonsis? Get real. So do you make the penalty to the team such that they tell their Russians they can't go? Like, no cap relief? It's not a competition thing. Washington doesn't have a player as good as Ovi not on their NHL team already.
0 x

GreenStar

Re: Olympics

Postby GreenStar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:26 pm

I get that players like to go. I also get that those players that don't go like it as well because they get a couple weeks off. I don't like the disruption of the NHL season. I don't buy that NHL at the olympics grows the game. The NHL has been at the olympics since 98, has the game grown as a result? Can anyone point to examples? I think, when the games are in north america, there is a temporary bump in interest. People that don't watch hockey, see the NHL's best play a tournament and think it's cool. They then check out a regular season NHL game and don't see the same thing and go back to casual interest at best. NBC wants it because it attracts viewers so it means more ad sales. The olympics want it because it means more interest and presumably more ticket sales although that seems a stretch in Korea as it is.
0 x

Return to “In The Concourse”